- 2 lbs cubed lamb (about 4 cups 1 inch cubes)
- Spice Mixture- (flexible mix, add more or less of whichever flavors you like best eg. if you like it less spicy or more spicy, adjust the amount of cayenne)
- 6 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups onion thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp veg. oil
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, crush lightly to break pods open
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, coarse ground with mortar and pestle
- 1/4 cup coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water or more as needed
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Marinate lamb in mixture of spices and sour cream for 30 minutes.
In pan on med-high heat, fry onion in mixture of oil and butter till edges are browned.
Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, garlic and ginger. Fry for 1-2 minutes till onion turns medium brown.
Add marinated lamb to onion mixture and stir on med-med/high heat. Till sour cream blends in and lamb browns, about 2 min.
Stir in crushed fennel seeds, coconut milk, salt and 3/4 cup water; bring to boil.
Turn heat down, simmer covered for 30 min.
Uncover and simmer for another 20-25 min. to thicken sauce. Add more water if sauce is too thick.
At this point the meat and sauce should have darkened somewhat.
Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat. Taste to adjust salt.
Serve with brown rice and or naan bread, and a simple salad or slaw.